Thursday 16 February 2012

water birds

IMG_0394

One thing that I have promised myself recently is that I will draw more. A lot more, so my art journal is doubling up as a playground to experiment with my drawing.  First thing this morning I opened my journal to a nice new page and quickly sketched n some more birds, this time three of them tottering on top of each other – bit of a metaphor for how life is feeling at the moment.  But what to do with them… I had a little think about how I’m feeling at the moment, trying to stay on two feet, living like a single parent during the week with two kids in primary school whilst running the house and a business.  It can sometime feel like I’m about to be swept away by it all…enter waves crashing on the tiny island of sanity my birds are standing on.  

I’ll probably tweak this page a wee bit yet, and I’m not sure if I need to journal on it.  I’ve used watercolours on this one and I’m falling in love with them all over again.  It’s been a very long time since I last used any. Then again, it’s been a very long time since I stopped drawing.  Feels good to start again.

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is lovely Vicki ... beautiful birds and fabulous colours! If I was going to get swept away ... well ... those waves work for me! Hope you find some much needed 'Me' time soon!

Sue Jones said...

BEAUTIFUL :)

Ali said...

I love your birds! I had been wanting to get back into drawing and doodling too... I made a start last year by buying a little sketchbook and trying to do a drawing - usually just a still life of something around me - each day. I've fallen out of the habit though.

I like the idea of combining my drawing with art journalling and must have a go myself.

Shirley said...

These birds are really gorgeous.
Love the water colours and the way you have used them.
The waves really give the page a feeling of movement.

fatmonica said...

I love those birds!